Monday, June 6, 2011

Remember Stack 'n Whack?

Bethany Reynolds' Stack 'n Whack book was first published when I was a beginner quilter. I ran to Fabricland and picked up the cheapest cotton I could buy. This had beans of all shapes and sizes and was $1.67/yard. I couldn't imagine a more hideous fabric!



I think I made 2 or 3 of these before running out of fabric. Stack 'n Whack only uses half of the lengthwise fabric. One of my friends loved it so much, I made her one. This one ended up in the Quilt Shop Magazine a few years ago!



One Block Wonder is a type of Stack 'n Whack. I used this fabric and cut out matching triangles to create kaleidoscope blocks.  

Measuring the fabric repeat is the same. It's important to have a sharp blade so you can cut through 6 or 8 layers at once.


For fun I bought Sara Nephew's book and added a few hollow blocks since they are based on 6 diamonds. With the blocks all together without sashing, it can be overwhelming visually.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It always amazes me how the most horrid fabric turns out great with a stack and whack! Yours is wonderful.