Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Quilter's Home

I've been working on a quilt for a Quilt University class online. I believe the adage that the first 50 drawings should go in the garbage. It takes a long time to flesh out a good design.


This is just from my sketchbook. Not everything is easy to translate into fabric. Most things are fused.


Here's the first row. I decided to go a little brighter on the trees and subdue the houses so they appear further in the distance.


The lights in the house are silk and since it unravels so much, I've cut out the windows and put the silk underneath. During class, Lorraine told me I needed more balance on the sides and something at the bottom. 

There she is, finished. It's hard not to touch the little sparkling windows. Thank goodness for Heat 'n Bond and a quilting machine. A simple practice piece can become a pretty piece of art.

No comments: