Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Solo & Ensemble

 Every year about this time, we head down to Everett for county high schools to participate in Solo & Ensemble contest. I am always accompanying someone, but Marnie could be singing or playing any number of instruments. This time Marnie sang Scarlatti's Sento nel Core. Her dad recorded her performance a few weeks later at the high school. Those who participate in festival perform their songs at the next concert.

This year I'm helping Marnie's friend Josie with a Schumann piece, Adagio and Allegro. It's killing me to get it fast enough. I've even used white-out on some notes to keep me from trying to play them. I was passable and the adjudicator gave me a nice compliment.

Here is a performance of the piece from professionals on YouTube:


Josie was sweet and gave me an Olive Garden gift card, which Marnie and I used to enjoy an afternoon lunch. It's very stressful to perform at different times during the day. The high school is full of music and nerves. I believe she scored very well. She is on her way to a university music program.

No comments: