Monday, June 1, 2009

Simply Delicious

 I began Simply Delicious with a quilt shop in Edmonds which is now defunct. That's how long it took me to finish. They would mail out a block once a month and I would watch them stack up while I tried to finish the first block. It was an apple. I remember appliqueing the first leaf on the background and being so proud, I held it up for Paul to admire. Uh-huh was about all I got. It wasn't that impressive. 


When I finished the apple block, I moved on to peaches. It seemed the next easiest. Diana asked if she could help, so I gave her the lemon and cherries. When six blocks were done, I switched to machine applique.


The currants were fussy, but sewing them on with monofilament. Prepping was still a bit of a pain due to the skinny stems.


On the pumpkin I used some Sulky Solvy which dissolves with water. I didn't like it much.


Piece o' Cake Designs was the first to start using pieced backs behind applique. It's so subtle but using low value background pieces gives depth and cohesiveness.


The back looks pretty good, too.

No comments: