Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Quilt Design Class

I found a perfect class for me! Lorraine Torrence is teaching Art Design at Quiltworks in Bellevue. Although she's been teaching this for 20 years, I am now at the point of noticing. I want to do something original! So our first assignment was to make a few quilts showing symmetry and asymmetry. I used a simple leaf for each one so they could be a series. Then I manipulated them a bit to engage the viewer.
This is an example of radial symmetry. All of the inside pieces are fused. The blue is supposed to represent the earth.
The following asymmetrical piece was the hardest. How do you achieve balance without symmetry? I drew this piece in my sketchbook about 25 times. At the class, Lorraine suggested I paint a little yellow in the green leaves to add more color balance. Also, I should cut off 2-3" inches of the left side. I'm good with that.

Next month our assignment is to create 5 or 6 quilts with asymmetry by copying the masters. I think I will attempt a Cezanne landscape.



1 comment:

Jessica Munk said...

That is awesome! I am so excited for you! AND I love the asymmetrical one!