Monday, July 17, 2017

Arco Incident

 These two pictures were taken just before a terrible incident in Arco, Idaho. We were bringing Marnie to Rexburg with us for Howard's graduation. We decided to go through Arco because it was the hometown of my friend Cathy. She has so many stories of growing up Catholic in an LDS community. We stopped at this intersection, saw the two cops on the other side of the street, then changed our mind about turning right. There was a gas/convenience store to the left, so we turned that way.



We parked at the gas station and started to get out to buy Gatorade. But a cop car whipped up behind us. The cop crept up cautiously and asked us what he thought we were doing. Paul was calm, but I was filming. It just felt weird. The cop said we turned out of the wrong lane. Being that there was no one around for miles, this struck me as strange. 
Finally, Paul asked if he was free to go. No, he was going to need license and registration and returned to his vehicle. I asked Paul if I could get out and get a Gatorade. I brought my purse with me.
I was standing at the refrigerated section when the cop burst in and told me to put my hands up. I dropped my purse and he grabbed my arms and cuffed me in the store.
He was yelling about me for alluding a police officer as he dragged me out of the store and up against his vehicle. He started yelling about my license. I remember yelling, "Honey!" for Paul. He collected my purse from the floor of the store and then rummaged through it on the front hood. Paul was smart and sat in the car without speaking. He held his finger to his lips to indicate I shouldn't say anything. 
For 20 minutes I was handcuffed while the cop talked to the other officer who had followed him. He did all the checks he could do and then gave me a talking to, saying I would need to return to Idaho for a trial, that I would be charged with alluding. Paul would be charged with reckless driving.  I just nodded and didn't say a word.
He uncuffed me and I returned to the car. I didn't stop shaking for a few hours. I didn't sleep that night. It wasn't until we returned to Camano Island that we requested the cop's body cam. I wrote a summary of my experience and sent it to the prosecutor. I have never been able to watch the video. The prosecutor watched it and then dropped all the charges and begged us not to sue. When we considered suing, it was too late. The open window of 180 days had lapsed. 
In any case, I understand more fully now that there are good cops and bad cops. And that if I hadn't been meek and mild, something really terrible could have happened. Paul's advice is always to save your argument for the court room.

No comments: