Thursday, July 6, 2017

Maria Shell Class

 I had a great opportunity to take a class with Maria Shell at Sisters, Oregon. She is a great quilt artist from Anchorage. The class was based on making fabric designs from solid colors. 

She had quite a few examples of her work. It gave me so many ideas for future quilts. You know that feeling when your brain explodes? Maria is Nancy Crow trained so her design instincts are incredible. 






This collection below is my attempt at making fabric. I decided to use the blue block for a quilt. I used a triad color scheme, which is probably the most extreme, to make Metro Grid.


How I love secondary designs and this created quite a few. I also like the principle of small, medium, and large pieces. Black and white are the neutrals here. One of my favorite quilts.


 Do you see the secondary designs forming? The centers of the blocks almost look like sashing.


Each large block uses a triad color scheme. 



All 

The triadic color examples 
consist of three colors that are evenly spaced out on the traditional color wheel. A traditionally-balanced triadic color scheme focuses on one dominant color, with the other two evenly spaced colors both serving as accents. Triadic colors stand out from one another and make for a vibrant, lively color palette regardless of which particular colors are used.


For the border, I wanted to use smaller blocks. It's funny, but when I look at these I see Sweden, the Denver Broncos, and the Red Cross.



No comments: